Release Of Convicted Murderer Delayed
The potential release of a convicted murderer has been temporarily delayed because of concerns over his placement.
State Sen. George Borrello, R-Sunset Bay, said in a statement Wednesday that the release of Edward Kindt has been delayed one day after The Post-Journal reported Kindt’s placement could include a site in Westfield.
“This morning I spoke directly with Acting Commissioner Anthony Annucci of the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (DOCCS) to relay my concerns and those of our community over the impending release of brutal murderer and rapist Edward Kindt,” Borrello said. “While the commissioner does not have the ability to nullify the reckless decision of the pro-criminal members of the state Parole Board who voted to free Kindt, the commissioner confirmed, as reports have indicated, that Kindt’s release has been delayed as further consideration is given to his placement.”
Kindt, who has been in prison since 2000, was scheduled to be released today from the New York State Correctional Facility at Elmira. He was eligible to be released today but had to complete his community preparation, which could be on or after his release date.
Word of Kindt’s possible release in Chautauqua County was first reported Tuesday afternoon by The Post-Journal and OBSERVER newspapers. Late last week, state representatives voiced their concerns about Kindt re-entering society.
Borrello reiterated those concerns today.
“Prison is the only appropriate residence for a monster like this and the only option that keeps innocent New Yorkers safe,” Borrello said.