2 New Cases Reported; 1 ‘Recovered Completely’
A county resident who previously tested positive for the coronavirus has reportedly “recovered completely” and has been released from mandatory quarantine.
The announcement was made Tuesday by the Chautauqua County Department of Health, though no further information regarding the individual was made public.
Two additional cases of COVID-19 were announced by county health officials, bringing the total number to 10 in the county. The new cases include two men — one in his 80s and one in his 40s — neither of whom had traveled recently.
Based on the initial review of these cases by epidemiology staff, the individuals appear to have had separate exposures to the virus.
In addition, the county said 25 county residents remained in mandatory quarantine; 28 people in precautionary quarantine; and 32 people in mandatory isolation.
To date, 100 tests for COVID-19 have come back negative.
Christine Schuyler, county director of Health and Human Services, said an online mapping tool to display data about positive cases will be launched Wednesday. The information will be divided by the four fire battalions in the county and will be updated regularly.
“County Executive Wendel and I believe it is important to share information that will help prevent the spread of this virus while also protecting the privacy and well-being of individuals,” Schuyler said.
On Monday, the county announced the first coronavirus-related death of a county resident — a man in his 80s that had been tested and was receiving treatment at an Erie, Pa., hospital.
Meanwhile, in Cattaraugus County, the number of confirmed cases has reached six, the county Department of Health announced. In its Coronavirus Response Hub, the Department of Health said four of the confirmed cases are in the northwest portion of the county; one in the southwest corner of the county; and one in the southeast corner of the county.
As of Tuesday, the county said 10 people were in precautionary quarantine and 102 were in mandatory quarantine. In all, 183 tests for COVID-19 have been administered, with 147 tests coming back negative.
The State University of New York at Fredonia said in the interest of public health and safety, the annual commencement ceremonies traditionally held in May will be postponed.
“Given the need to protect the health of everyone, we have made the difficult decision to postpone the 2020 Commencement ceremony to a later date,” interim president Dennis L. Hefner said in an email message to the campus community.
Hefner added that the Class of 2020 will be included in the decision-making process as a new date is determined. Two identical commencement ceremonies were planned for May 16 to honor the approximately 1,000 degree candidates eligible to participate.
“Please know that postponement of the ceremony does not delay receipt of diplomas,” Hefner said. “As happens every year, transcripts are revised in May to reflect the exact date of graduation, and actual diplomas are mailed to graduates in early summer.”
SPRING BREAK CANCELED
Schools districts across New York state that had planned to observe spring breaks within the next couple of weeks will now be expected to continue providing remote learning for students, the state Department of Education said.
In a message posted online Tuesday, that state Department of Education said: “Districts must continue to provide remote instruction for students, meals for students, and child care for essential workers every weekday between April 1, 2020 and April 14, 2020, even if the district is scheduled to be on spring break during that time.”
Administrators across the state were reportedly notified late Monday. The announcement comes as Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered all schools closed through April 15, though many districts plan to remain closed through April 20 or later due to the coronavirus.
The state did not mention any date beyond April 14; the Jamestown Public Schools District and Southwestern Central School District had planned to observe spring recess from April 13 through April 17.