Breaking News

Sherman Girls Win 13th Class D Sectional Title

Looking back, Saturday’s Section VI Class D girls basketball final will be remembered in Sherman for the Wildcats’ comeback. In Panama, it will be remembered as the one that got away. No. 1 Sherman rallied from an 11-point fourth-quarter deficit, tied the game with 46 seconds ...

Frewsburg Girls Roll Past Maple Grove For Class C Title

After beating No. 2 Randolph in Wednesday’s Section VI Class C semifinal, Saturday’s title game was expected to be a formality for No. 3 Frewsburg. After a closely contested opening five minutes against No. 5 Maple Grove, that’s what it turned into for the Bears. Frewsburg ...

Bears Are State Champions

ITHACA — In 47 years on the pool deck, Frewsburg/Falconer/Southwestern/Jamestown head coach Bruce Johnson knows that momentum can change from day to day or even from event to event. So although the quintet of Conner Dean, Miles and Grady Moore, Landon Frederes and Daniel Peterson had ...

Team Effort

Conner Dean, Grady and Miles Moore, Daniel Peterson and Landon Frederes walked the hallways Thursday morning to the cheers and high-fives of their peers at both Southwestern and Frewsburg high schools. They had plenty to celebrate. The main reason for the happy send-offs, of course, was to ...

Celoron man charged with making, possessing child pornography

A Celoron man is facing multiple child pornography charges. U.S. Attorney Michael DiGiacomo announced today that a federal grand jury has returned an indictment charging Jose Perez, 40, with attempted production of child pornography and possession of child pornography, which carry a mandatory minimum penalty of 15 years in prison, a maximum of 80 years, and a $250,000 fine. Assistant U.S. Attorney David J. Rudroff, who is handling the case, stated that according to the indictment and a previously filed criminal complaint, on Sept. 3, 2022, Homeland Security Investigations received a ...

Large Numbers Of Corrections Officers Remaining On Strike, State Says

Striking continues at 32 state correctional facilities almost one week after a resolution that included a temporary suspension of the HALT Act was announced by the New York State Corrections Officers and Police Benevolent Association. A spokesman for the state Department of Correctional and Community Supervision on Wednesday night noted that while a portion of the staff has returned, a much larger number is missing from work. "We have had approximately 2,500 staff return to duty and we welcome them back," he said. "There continues to be over 7,500 staff members continuing the illegal ...