Deck The Halls

Holiday Traditions On Display At Fenton

Aluminum trees gained popularity for artificial use in the 1950s. They normally were illuminated with flood lights to prevent electrical shortage from traditional Christmas lights. P-J photo by William Mohan
The Upside Down Christmas Tree is a tradition tracing itself to late 19th century Germany, Finland and Poland. From 2005 onward they have regained popularity in recent years. P-J photo by William Mohan
Ceppo Trees were a staple in Florence, Italy 100 years ago. They were normally sold in markets with each level holding symbolic items. P-J photo by William Mohan
The feather tree originated in Germany circa 1845. It gained popularity in America after being advertised in the 1913 Sears, Roebuck Catalogue. P-J photo by William Mohan
Over the years children would have found a variety of gifts under their tree. Seen on display are various plastic and metal toys. P-J photo by William Mohan
The nativity creche is a tradition originated by St. Francis of Assisi in 1223 to tell the story of Christ's Birth. In Italy, the Precipio, nativity scene is a center of the family Christmas celebrations. P-J photo by William Mohan

Deck The Halls with boughs of history.

Christmas has been celebrated in various means and traditions over the years. To find out how varied holiday celebrations in the home have become, The Post-Journal visited the Fenton History Center.

At FHC, visitors will find various holiday methods from early gift givers that predate Santa Claus as well as antique toys that would have been wrapped under the tree. This year’s theme for the display is “A Little Women” holiday. The artifacts currently on display date back from as early as the 11th century to the 1960s. It was designed by Fenton Education director Jennifer Champ. The artifacts will be on display until Jan. 6.

For more information on the Fenton Historical Center visit fentonhistorycenter.org. The Center is open from Monday to Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Fenton History Center is located at 73 Forest Ave. in Jamestown.

COMMENTS