Off And Running
CCAA Opens Season With Four Meets
Lukas Baer got the regular season off on the right foot Tuesday with a victory in the boys race during Chautauqua-Cattaraugus Athletic Association cross country action at Southwestern Central School.
The Maple Grove senior followed up a fifth-place finish at last weekend’s Knox Invitational with a winning time of 17:36 on Tuesday.
The host Trojans picked up the team victory with 28 points after Nate Lewis finished second and Ethan Luce finished third. The Red Dragons were second with 50 points and Franklinville/Ellicottville was third with 58 points, led by Maddox Bush’s fourth-place finish. Silver Creek/Forestville was fourth with 94 points, led by Ethan Perryman in 13th.
Maple Grove’s Allison Bohall won the girls race in 22:18 as the Red Dragons nearly completed a top-five sweep. Abby Brunenavs was second, Lizzie Lai was third, Hannah Tarbrake was fourth and Presley Haines was sixth.
Southwestern’s Grace Anderson broke up the Maple Grove sweep with a fifth-place finish as the Trojans were second with 61 points. Silver Creek/Forestville was third with 62 points, led by Daisy League in eighth. Franklinville/Ellicottville was fourth with 89 points, led by Tarryn Herman in 11th.
1. Lukas Baer (MG); 2. Nate Lewis (S); 3. Ethan Luce (S); 4. Maddox Bush (F/E); 5. Trenton Shutters (S); 6. Ben Cornell (MG); 7. Sean Verbosky (MG); 8. Brendan Luce (S); 9. Grant Cornell (F/E); 10. Donavin Brown (S). T–17:36
1. Allison Bohall (MG); 2. Abby Brunenavs (MG); 3. Lizzie Lai (MG); 4. Hannah Tarbrake (MG); 5. Grace Anderson (S); 6. Presley Haines (MG); 7. Gabrielle Wigren (S); 8. Daisy League (SC/F); 9. Melanie Wilson (SC/F); 10. Ava Emke (SC/F). T–22:18
WOLFPACK, GOLDEN COUGARS WIN
LITTLE VALLEY — Allegany-Limestone runners won both races, but Clymer/Sherman/Panama’s girls and Falconer/Cassadaga Valley’s boys won the team results during Tuesday’s race on the Pat McGree Trail.
The Gators’ Ashlyn Collins won the girls race in 20:52 and her teammate Jacob Brink won the boys race in 16:43.
The Golden Cougars took the boys team race with 32 points, led by Joseph Krenzer’s third-place finish and Alex Hudson’s fifth-place finish. Allegany-Limestone was second with 51 points and Clymer/Sherman/Panama was third with 67 points, led by Michael Raven in sixth place.
The Wolfpack won the girls team race with 33 points, led by Hannah Schauman in third place and Tayden Persons in sixth. Allegany-Limestone was second with 37 points and Falconer/Cassadaga Valley was third with 70 points, led by Hannah Madonia in fourth place.
1. Jacob Brink (A-L); 2. Daniel Casey (A-L); 3. Joseph Krenzer (F/CV); 4. Alex Redeye (A-L); 5. Alex Hudson (F/CV); 6. Michael Raven (C/S/P); 7. Devin Austin (F/CV); 8. Wyatt Harrington (F/CV); 9. Jase Smith (F/CV); 10. Jack Tharnish (WV). T–16:43
1. Ashlyn Collins (A-L); 2. Maddie Straub (A-L); 3. Hannah Schauman (C/S/P); 4. Hannah Madonia (F/CV); 5. Lillanna Peters (A-L); 6. Tayden Persons (C/S/P); 7. Leighanne Swan (C/S/P); 8. Diedre Lawness (C/S/P); 9. Haley Odell (C/S/P); 10. Solki Martin (C/S/P). T–20:52
RANDOLPH’S SMITH, KELLY SHINE
COLLINS — Randolph’s Sydney Smith won the girls race in 21:13 to lead the Cardinals to a team victory with 27 points at the Collins Conservation Club.
Gowanda’s Calie Hudson was second to lead the Panthers to a second-place finish with 28 points. Dunkirk’s Siera Porpiglia was sixth, but the Marauders had an incomplete team.
In the boys race, Randolph’s Roan Kelly was first in 17:58, but the Cardinals finished second with 31 points. Gowanda was first with 25 points, led by Drew Schull’s second-place finish. Dunkirk’s Zachary Zentz was fifth, but the Marauders were incomplete.
1. Roan Kelly (R); 2. Drew Schull (G); 3. Jayson Twoguns (G); 4. Cole Herman (G); 5. Zachary Zentz (D); 6. Aaron North (G); 7. Dempsey McDonald (R); 8. Rhys Kelly (R); 9. Lucas Lawrie (D); Jordan Parson (R). T–17:58
1. Sydney Smith (R); 2. Calie Hudson (G); 3. Gracyn Rowland (R); 4. Autumn Pupo (G); 5. Kailyn Farner (G); 6. Siera Porpiglia (D); 7. Lucy VanRensselaer (R); 8. Miranda Kaminski (G); 9. Lily McDonald (R); 10. Sierra Smith (R). T–21:13
PITTS PREVAILS AT HOME
FREWSBURG — Xander Pitts toured the 3.1-mile course at Robert H. Jackson Elementary School in 19:09 to lead the host Bears to a boys team victory with 26 points.
Olean was second with 53 points, paced by second-place Jack DeRose and Fredonia/Westfield was third with 54 points, led by sixth-place Cameron Patternosh.
Jamestown’s Belle Johnson, running unattached, led the girls race in 22:17. Fredonia won the girls team race with 24 points, paced by Julia LeBaron in fifth place. Olean was second with 33 points, led by third-place Sara Thomas. Frewsburg’s Rylee Gore was second in 23:14, but the Bears were incomplete.
1. Xander Pitts (Frew); 2. Jack DeRose (O); 3. Tyler Zwald (J); 4. Maxwell Knight (J); 5. Micah Barber (Frew); 6. Cameron Patternosh (F/W); 7. Ledreth Velez-Olmo (F/W); 8. Colton Cappalino (J); 9. Mason McVinney (J); 10. Cody Kent (Frew). T–19:09
1. Belle Johnson (J); 2. Rylee Gore (Frew); 3. Sara Thomas (O); 4. Teghan Trocki (Frew); 5. Julia LeBaron (F/W); 6. Ashlyn Ambrose (F/W); 7. Myah Crossley (J); 8. Ryanna Brady (S); 9. Haley Zadzilka (F/W); Nya Martinelli (O). T–22:17