Founder’s Day
Bemus Point Celebrates Village’s 220th Birthday
- Descendants of William Bemus gather around to celebrate the village of Bemus Point. Submitted photo
- A birthday cake for the village of Bemus Point is pictured. Submitted photo

Descendants of William Bemus gather around to celebrate the village of Bemus Point. Submitted photo
BEMUS POINT – In 1806 William Bemus and family would set out on a journey that’s significance would still be noted over two centuries later.
Upon journeying down the Chautauqua Ridge, Bemus would settle at a location on the eastern portion of Chautauqua Lake. Now, 220 years later, the village has commemorated this day once again, celebrating and remembering the settling of Bemus Point.
The story of Bemus and family moving to the area would begin in 1805 when Bemus would purchase land on both sides of the lake from the Holland Land Company, with the total for the land coming to $1.50. After moving through the area now known as Westfield and traveling South, Bemus would settle in the modern day Bemus Point on March 9, 1806. Bemus was driven South by the difficult settling conditions of the north lake area at the time. It was said that the forests were so thick in the area that Bemus was unable to see the lake until nearly reaching the shoreline. Due to the thick woods, Bemus found it easier to perform much on the walk on the ice of the lake. However, the ice would prove to be too slippery for the animals traveling alongside Bemus to walk on, prompting the group to lead the animals along on the nearby shore.
Upon settling, Bemus and family would build and reside in a log cabin, which was located about 500 to 600 feet northeast of the current ferry landing site. Even today, descendants of Bemus continue to reside on the property.
Later on Thomas Bemus, son of William and Mary Polly Prendergast, would go on to create the ferry that connects Bemus Point and Stow in 1811. This original ferry was created by Bemus from a raft. This ferry was propelled across the lake through poling, a process of using long poles to push the boat through the water. Before the c reaction of the bridge in October, 1982, the ferry would remain the only way to cross the lake and avoid the more than 19 mile journey around the lake to Stow.

A birthday cake for the village of Bemus Point is pictured. Submitted photo
As the village continued to see increasing popularity throughout the 1800s expansions would continue until the official village incorporation in 1911.
The founding’s anniversary was celebrated at the most recent Bemus Point Historical Society Guest Lecture Series on March 11. Though this type of event is typically held on the second Wednesday of each month, a special speaker was present this time. Tom Bemus is a direct descendant of William Bemus and still resides within the village today, and came to the lecture to tell some important historical stories and information. In addition to this, village officials prepared a cake for the event, giving a proper birthday celebration to the village.







