×

Gerry Home Destroyed In Morning Fire

GERRY — An electric space heater was found to be the source of a fire that destroyed a home in Gerry early Tuesday.

The blaze at 5172 Herrick Road was reported to county dispatch around 2:35 a.m. An occupant awoke to flames on the bedroom wall and escaped before the fire spread to the rest of the property.

Assisting Gerry firefighters at the scene included crews from Kennedy, Falconer, Sinclairville and Ellington.

According to Capt. Rich Telford of the Chautauqua County Fire Investigation Team, an electric space heater placed “too close to combustibles” is believed to have sparked the fire.

The lone occupant was treated for smoke inhalation and later released.

The fire was ultimately ruled accidental; the property was deemed a total loss.

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today