Celoron Fire That Destroyed Garage, Home Ruled Accidental

A fire that destroyed a detached garage and home Sunday in Celoron has been ruled accidental. Photo by Dan Kohler

CELORON — The “unsafe use of heating implements” reportedly sparked Sunday’s fire that destroyed a detached garage and home in the village.

A probe by the Fire Investigation Team with the Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office ruled the blaze at 21 N. Alleghany Ave. in Celoron as accidental.

Firefighters had been notified of a car and garage fire around 2:45 p.m. Sunday.

“Upon arrival, crews located a large detached garage to the rear of the property fully involved,” the Celoron Fire Department said in a statement posted to Facebook.

“Crews worked to extinguish the fire which, due to its intensity and being driven by the wind, spread to the main exposure of the house on the property,” the fire department said. “Crews attempted an interior attack, but were evacuated due to structural concerns.”

An interview with the homeowner determined that the fire started in the detached garage while he was completing vehicle repairs. The blaze spread from the car to the garage and eventually the home.

Embers also ignited numerous grass fires in the area.

“Both structures were completely destroyed by the fire,” the Sheriff’s Office said. “The fire is being ruled accidental in nature.”

No injuries were reported, the department said.

Crews from Lakewood, Busti, Ashville, Jamestown, Fluvanna, Kiantone and Bemus Point responded to the scene. The Ellicott Police Department, Chautauqua County FAST Team, Chautauqua County EMS and Sheriff’s Office assisted as well.

“Thank you to all who assisted and responded,” the Celoron Fire Department said.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today