Chadakoin Club — Organized Rowing On Chautauqua Lake
Did you know that the sport of rowing on Chautauqua Lake dates back to the 1880s with the formation of the Chadakoin Club in Greenhurst.
Chief amongst the club’s activities were competitive races against the Chautauqua Sports Club based at Chautauqua Institution. Over the years, sailing was added to the group’s activities and the club moved across the lake to Lakewood in 1908.
During the 1930s, the popularity of rowing declined while that of sailing steadily grew. In 1937, the Chadakoin Club’s charter was transferred to form a new organization — the Chautauqua Lake Yacht Club — which continues today as primarily a sailing and social club at its same location in Lakewood.
Several decades later, after a 70-year absence, organized rowing reappeared on the lake in 2005 with the formation of Chautauqua Lake Rowing Association, which sponsors recreational and open competitive programs for high school, collegiate and adult rowers from its boathouse on the Chadakoin River next to McCrea Point Park at the boat landing.
Photo Courtesy of Reed Library