Jamestown Fire Crews Douse Electrical Fire At UPMC Chautauqua

Jamestown firefighters quickly doused a fire at the UPMC Chautauqua hospital on Foote Avenue on Saturday afternoon.

Officials report crews responded at 12:23 p.m. to the facility where smoke was showing. Responders then headed to the east elevator penthouse area and located a room that contained the fire. Crews checked the fire room and located electrical components of the elevator system burning. They then used a dry chemical extinguisher to extinguish the fire.

Crews worked to ventilate the area, removing smoke with electrical exhaust fans. Power was shut down to all three east elevators by fire department personnel. Crews coordinated with UPMC Chautauqua staff throughout the incident.

City fire officials noted in a press release, “alarm system … functioned appropriately providing for a rapid response.”

The blaze was ruled accidental and electrical in nature.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $2.99/week.

Subscribe Today