Discarded Matches Blamed In Sunday City Blaze

A house fire at 71 Allen St. that injured a city firefighter is being blamed on carelessly discarded matches.

Jamestown Fire Department responded to smoke and the smell of smoke in basement apartment around 10:30 a.m. Sunday and found light smoke pushing from the eaves. A primary search of the entire house ensured all occupants were evacuated.

During overhaul, crews found more fire in the ceiling of apartment 4. All occupants of the home at the time of the fire were able to evacuate including two dogs and two cats with no injuries. Jamestown BPU secured the power at the meter and National Fuel secured the gas to the house.

City police, the Department of Development and Mayor Kim Ecklund assisted at the scene. The Red Cross assisted the seven adults who lived in the house with support that helped their needs to be met for the holiday weekend.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $2.99/week.

Subscribe Today