It’s Official: Phase Two Businesses Can Reopen
It’s official. The Western New York region has met the necessary benchmarks to begin the second phase of reopening.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Tuesday during his daily briefing that the region — which includes Chautauqua and Cattaraugus counties — could allow Phase Two businesses to reopen to the public. Those businesses include retail, offices and salons and barbershops.
There had been some confusion as to whether the WNY region would be allowed to reopen Tuesday following remarks from the governor a day earlier. However, Cuomo made clear during his briefing that Phase Two businesses could reopen while following strict guidelines.
Chautauqua County Executive PJ Wendel is encouraging area residents to get out — while doing so safely — and support local retail businesses.
“It’s now official, it’s right from his lips,” Wendel said of Cuomo’s announcement following a day of uncertainty whether the region could reopen. “Right now we’re in Phase Two. … I’m excited for our local businesses, and I want to encourage people to get out and support them. The men and women, they have been the backbone, and we need to do everything we can to support these businesses.”
One such business that plans to reopen Tuesday is — ironically named — Phase Two in Jamestown. The 2-year-old business offers a wide variety of name brand and vintage clothing.
“I’m super excited to be back open to the public,” Phase Two owner Julia Tarr told The Post-Journal. “My employees are excited to be back to work. We have cleaned everything for customers to have a safe environment. We are ready to be back open.”
Specifically, Phase Two businesses include:
· all office-based jobs (professional services, administrative support, and information technology);
· retail (in-store shopping; and rental, repair and cleaning);
· real estate services (building and property management; and leasing, rental and sales services);
· barbershops and hair salons (limited to hair services only with no massages, hair removal, facial and nail services), and
· motor vehicle leasing, rental and sales.