No New Cases Of Virus Reported In County Sunday
MAYVILLE — No new cases of the coronavirus were reported Sunday, the Chautauqua County Department of Health announced.
The total number cases of COVID-19 remains at seven, while 87 tests have come back negative.
The county Health Department deems this the beginning of the infections period. “Once identified, our department notifies the close contacts of their potential exposure to COVID-19 and they are placed under mandatory or precautionary quarantine to monitor for symptoms,” officials said in a statement. “If you do not personally hear from a public health nurse, you are not a close contact of an individual who has been confirmed to have COVID-19. Per NYSDOH, close contact refers to a person who cared for or lived with a person with COVID-19. It does not include activities such as walking by a person or sitting across a waiting room or office for a brief time.”
There are several individuals who have received isolation and quarantine orders by the Public Health Director. This includes:
— 21 individuals in mandatory quarantine (individuals confirmed positive of COVID-19 or a household contact of a confirmed positive COVID-19 case);
— 38 individuals in precautionary quarantine (individuals with travel history to CDC level 3 country or proximal contact of a confirmed case of COVID-19);
— 22 individuals in mandatory isolation (individuals who are symptomatic of COVID-19 and are pending COVID-19 lab test).
The Chautauqua County COVID-19 Response Team continues to meet daily during this pandemic to stay up-to-date on rapidly changing situations. They ask that you do your part:
· wash your hands for at least 20 seconds, and wash them more frequently throughout the day;
· avoid touching your face;
· cover your coughs or sneezes;
· avoid close contact with others by keeping a distance of six feet;
· clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces;
· stay home and avoid contact with others if you are sick.
Meanwhile, three new cases of the coronavirus have been confirmed in Cattaraugus County, bringing the total number to five.
In a news release Sunday, the county Department of Health said the three new cases include a male living in the northwest part of the county with recent travel to New York City and Buffalo. The male did not have a cough, fever or shortness of breath, but had been in close contact with someone who had COVID-19.
The individual was tested Friday, and the positive test came back Saturday.
A female who lives in the northwest part of the county with recent travel to Buffalo also tested positive for the virus. She, too, did not show any symptoms, but did have close contact with someone confirmed to have COVID-19.
Se was tested Friday, and was confirmed to have the virus Saturday.
“Both patients are resting at home, and now under quarantine,” the county Health Department said in its news release. “They will be assessed for any medical support that we can provide, and we will monitor their symptoms closely.”
The third new case involves a male residing in the southeast part of the county with no know travel history who presented to the Olean General Hospital emergency room complaining of fever, cough and diarrhea. He was admitted with pneumonia and was tested for the virus Friday.
The test came back positive Saturday. He was discharged Sunday and placed in quarantine with his family.
“The Cattaraugus County Health Department has begun contact tracing and will notify any close contacts and facilities that any of confirmed positives have visited,” the county said.