UPDATE: Pets Perish In Morning Structure Fire
LAKEWOOD — No one was injured, but two pets perished in a fire that broke out Wednesday.
A neighbor spotted smoke coming from 2244 Second Ave. in Cottage Park near Lakewood around 11:45 a.m. and called 911. Kurt Hallberg, Lakewood fire chief, said he arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the front door.
“There was a lot of smoke since the fire hadn’t self-ventilated yet, and the windows started to crack,” said Hallberg, noting that fire was located inside the kitchen before it was quickly knocked down.
Hallberg said no one was home when the fire broke out; he said two pets were removed from the home and given CPR, though were later deemed to have perished.
Utilities were disconnected from the property, and volunteer firefighters from Ashville and Celoron assisted on the Second Avenue scene. Officers with the Lakewood-Busti Police Department also responded.