×

Medical Equipment Scams Are On The Rise

All along the east coast, there has been an increase in the number of Durable Medical Equipment scams.

Durable Medical equipment includes, braces (such as back, knee, wrist, and ankle), Blood Sugar monitors, canes, crutches, hospital beds, CPAP devices, infusion pumps, walkers, wheelchairs, scooters, and breast protheses, to name a few. Many Medicare Beneficiaries are receiving unsolicited Durable Medical Equipment at their doorsteps, only to find out later that Medicare has been billed for this equipment. Many beneficiaries are opening the boxes and finding a letter that the Durable Medical Equipment company wants them to sign, attesting that they have received the equipment and are responsible for the balance owed.

Do not sign and mail back the paperwork, call our office at 1-800-333-4374 for assistance.

Remember only your doctor can prescribe Durable Medical Equipment, and that Medicare only covers the equipment if you get it from a supplier enrolled in the Medicare Program. And that Medicare Part B pays 80% of the approved amount, you pay the other 20%.

If you believe you have been the victim of a scam, or would like a presentation on Medicare Fraud, Patients’ Rights or need assistance with your health insurance, call our office at 1-800-333-4374 and our trained, certified and unbiased counselors will help you out. All of our services are free and confidential.

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today