City Man Jailed, No One Injured After 11-Hour Standoff

First responders pictured Sunday near 22 Sping St. Ext. where a man reportedly barricaded himself with a 9-year-old child. The standoff ended after more than 11 hours. P-J photo by Eric Tichy

A Jamestown man was taken into custody after an 11-hour-long standoff with city police Sunday.

No one was injured in the incident, which Jamestown police said began around 3 a.m. after receiving reports of a man chasing a woman with a knife at 22 Spring St. Ext. The woman was secured by officers, while the man — identified as 28-year-old Nicholas C. Brown — barricaded himself inside the residence with a 9-year-old child.

Members of the Jamestown SWAT Team responded to Spring Street Extension and established a perimeter around the property. During the extended standoff, crisis negotiators attempted to coax Brown into coming outside.

According to Capt. Robert Samuelson of the Jamestown Police Department, officers were forced to take positions outside the residence because a child was involved in the incident. It wasn’t until all options were exhausted around 2:15 p.m. Sunday that Samuelson said SWAT officers entered the home to end the standoff.

“We knew there was a child in the home so we can’t just go busting in the door,” Samuelson said. “We had to get the negotiators there. … It got to the point where we had to come to a safe resolution. We took our time and as a result it came to a very, very successful resolution.”

Nicholas C. Brown

Brown was taken into custody at the scene and transported to UPMC Chautauqua hospital for an evaluation. He was later taken to the Jamestown City Jail and held for arraignment.

During a search of the residence afterward, police found a box cutter.

The child, who was uninjured in the incident, was reunited with family members. Brown was reportedly the boyfriend of the child’s mother, who was taken into custody on unrelated charges.

“I’m very impressed and proud of the work of the police department and SWAT team,” Samuelson told The Post-Journal. “It was a success, and as a result, there were no injuries.”

Charges against Brown — who was wanted on multiple warrants — will be announced this morning.

The Jamestown Police Department was assisted Sunday by members of the Jamestown Fire Department and Chautauqua County EMS.