In 1913, young Henry Monroe, who was a close second in the recent pony contest in Westfield, was the proud possessor of a fine Shetland pony, the gift of A. N. Broadhead of Jamestown. It seemed that in spite of his businesses, Mr. Broadhead kept his weather eye on the pony contest and having been a boy himself, Mr. Broadhead might be presumed to have realized something of the disappointment felt by the lad who had come so close to winning. He was moved with sympathy which showed a tender spot in the heart of the man. He invited the Monroe lad to Jamestown and gave him the opportunity to look over a sale of Shetland ponies. Mr. Broadhead told him to pick out the one that suited him best, which he did. Mr. Broadhead presented it to him with his compliments and had it shipped to Westfield.
Dr. A. J. Robbins and Alvia Bouck of Jamestown left on a rattlesnake hunt and were successful in landing a huge specimen before noon. It was very unusual for a person to find one when looking for it. The settlers in snake country said they never knew of a case before. The snake was four feet long and put up a stiff fight but was captured and brought to the city alive and was in the doctor's office. Much interest was being developed at the present time in this snake as its venom was being used in the treatment of epilepsy. The venom would be taken from this specimen and as soon as it could be prepared, would be used in treating a case of epilepsy in the city.
In 1938, complaints that "dirt farmers" were not given a fair opportunity to express their views on a proposed federal-state milk marketing agreement followed in the wake of a series of public hearings on the measure. While federal and state officials went forward with plans for polling producers on the proposal, Elwyn Skillman of Smithville Flats, president of Crowley's Milk Producers' Cooperative Association asserted that the hearings were "worse than a Russian treason trial." Skillman declared that the hearings held before a representative of the United States agriculture department, "failed to give the dirt farmers of the state a break."
Miss Janet Edwards, 21, of Fredonia, was fatally injured and Robert Ottaway, 24, son of County Judge and Mrs. Lee Ottaway, and John Laskaris, 28, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Laskaris of Prather Avenue, Jamestown, were seriously injured late the previous evening when an automobile in which they were riding overturned into a ditch on the Stockton-Fredonia Road near the intersection of the Bear Lake Road. Both young men were expected to recover. According to an investigation of the accident, the car, owned and driven by Mr. Ottaway, turned out when he was blinded by the lights of a passing automobile. All three were pinned beneath the car and nearly an hour passed before their plight was discovered.
In 1963, Jamestown would seek federal and state funds for an urban renewal master plan at an estimated cost of $36,600. City Council authorized Mayor William D. Whitehead to request the funds with the Federal Housing and Home Finance Agency and the NYS Department of Commerce. Seventy-five percent of the estimated cost of the planning program would be provided by the H.H.F.A. through its Urban Renewal Administration and 12 percent would be supplied by the state commerce department. Under the plan, only 12 percent of the cost or approximately $4,600, would be met by city funds.
Scenes filmed in the Jamestown area would be included in a motion picture to be shown at the New York State Pavilion during the 1964 World's Fair in New York City. The announcement was made by Murray S. Stephens, executive vice president of Jamestown Area Chamber of Commerce. Coleman Productions, New York City, would film the scenes as part of a movie on the state. Things under consideration locally included Chautauqua Institution, Chautauqua Lake and quality furniture manufacturing.
In 1988, "The condition of industries in Chautauqua County is as strong as it's been since I've been on the job. Many companies are as busy as they've ever been," said David G. Dawson, administrative director of the county's Industrial Development Agency. Dawson recalled that Cummins Engine Co. made the decision in 1974 to locate in the area and occupy a massive plant on Baker Street Extension. "It's one of our fundamental foundation companies now," Dawson said, noting that it had about 900 employees.
McGraw-Hill Inc., the noted publishing house, was celebrating its centennial in 1988. The company was founded by James H. McGraw, who was born and grew up on a farm near Panama, N.Y. James McGraw never forgot his farm home near Panama, where he grew up loving nature and reading books. He attended Kings Corner District School, Clymer and Panama Street School in Panama. McGraw graduated from Panama Union Free School in 1880 and was valedictorian when he graduated from Fredonia State Normal School. At that time tuition was free and books were furnished.