100 Years Ago
In 1913, nightfall of the first day of the strike of the employees of Jamestown Street Railway Company and the Chautauqua Traction Company, was signified by several attempts to destroy or injure the property of the company. Some of these attempts were successful, some were not, but the sum total represented considerable damage. As a result of this lawlessness, eight men, former employees of the company, were already under arrest and more arrests would probably follow.
This night was "Overland Night" at the Peterman Garage Opening and Auto Show at 107-109 W. Fourth St., Jamestown and a rousing time would be had. The admission was free to all and all Overland owners and prospective buyers were especially invited to meet and exchange ideas and relate experiences. The stripped model 69T chassis was proving highly interesting and instructive. A carload of Overland Thirties arrived the previous day. Persons attending would be able to see the electric self-starter and have it explained to them. The standard electric at $1,885 had no competitor. It carried Exide Batteries containing 30 cells and was propelled by a Westinghouse motor. The First Lutheran Church band of 36 pieces would give an open air concert starting at 7 p.m.
75 Years Ago
In 1938, Frank Jinks, a roomer at 117 E. Fifth St., had a harrowing experience Sunday when he awakened to find his third-floor room filled with smoke from a burning mattress which had caught fire when he fell asleep while smoking. Trapped from a normal exit by the dense smoke, Jinks, clothed only in his underwear, hung from the window ledge of his room, with one foot resting on the top sill of a second-floor window, until firemen arrived. Jinks was rescued from his perch by firemen who placed a ladder along the outside wall of the building. His hair was singed but he was otherwise uninjured. The fire was discovered by a young man who, new to the area, ran five blocks to a restaurant to learn how to summon the fire department which was located only two blocks from the blaze.
The Abrahamson-Bigelow Co., operating the largest department store in the Jamestown area, would this week observe its golden jubilee anniversary - an event rare in the life of business corporations - and in the very fitting celebration of the event, was taking the public, which it had served for 50 years, into its plans by offering a special store program with sales in all departments. The business was established in 1888 by the late C.F. Abrahamson, originally occupying a store just north of the National Chautauqua County Bank on North Main Street. Some years later the late R.W. Bigelow joined forces with Abrahamson and together they expanded the store.
50 Years Ago
In 1963, criticism of Jamestown for trying "to go it alone," ignoring the interests of neighboring communities was voiced by John M. Barrett, attorney for the village of Celoron at a meeting of the Jamestown Industrial Development Commission. Barrett said although the city bus system served Celoron, Lakewood and Falconer, none of these communities was represented on the Municipal Transit Commission. Noting that Celoron had recently lost its amusement park leaving an area which would be suited for use as a residential area, he suggested that Celoron might be included in the city's plans for future development. Ninety percent of the residents of Celoron, he said, were employed outside the village and did most of their shopping in Jamestown.
Initial work at the overlook and parking area located on Route 59 near the dam site at the Allegheny Reservoir Project was nearing completion. Paving and the installation of guardrails were expected to be finished in another two weeks. Landscaping in the promenade area of the overlook was expected to be complete in time for the summer tourist traffic. The promenade would provide a convenient and unobstructed view of work at the dam site and the reservoir area upstream of the dam. It was expected to be a popular tourist attraction in summer.
25 Years Ago
In 1988, two new automated "clerks" were being shown to postal executives in Washington. However, the new machines were still in the experimental stage and were not expected to be used in Jamestown for several years, James Smith, superintendent of postal operations, told The Post-Journal. The machines, dubbed Infopost and Autopost, would be on display at the Third Advanced Technology Conference of the U.S. Postal Service. Both of these devices were upgraded models of the vending machines already in place at many post offices around the country.
Two people were injured after their plane crashed at 11:03 p.m. Friday at Ross Mills Road in Ellicott. Marie Eddy, 25, of Philadelphia and Michael D. Calvitto, 25, of Belleview, N.J., were enroute to Niagara Falls Airport from McGuire Air Force Base in New Jersey. The Piper Archer 181 flew into bad weather and was unable to land at Wellsville. It was diverted to Jamestown, experienced icing conditions, lost altitude and was forced to land in a small, wooded area a half-mile from Route 380 about one mile northeast of the Jamestown Airport. Eddy suffered a broken arm and Calvitto suffered cuts and abrasions.