A Sinclairville family's home was destroyed by a fire on Dec. 30, and now they could use some help from the community to replace what was lost.
Doug Williams, his wife, Julie, and their son, Lyle, were left without a place to call home after a fire took everything they owned. So, several members of their church, the one they were married in, have come together to host a benefit on Sunday.
The event begins at noon and runs until 5 p.m. at the St. James Church hall in Jamestown. It will feature a spaghetti and meatball dinner, a Chinese auction, drawings and more. The suggested door donation is $7.
Pictured are Julie, Doug and Lyle Williams, of Sinclairville, who lost their home to a fire on Dec. 30. A spaghetti dinner benefit will be held for the Williams family on Sunday from noon until 5 p.m. at the St. James Church hall in Jamestown.
P-J photo by Dusten Rader
According to Williams, it's a good idea to be active in your community and help your friends, because you never know when you're going to need it back.
"We appreciate all the help we can get for this benefit for our house because it was a tragic thing that happened," said Williams. "St. James Church members and Deacon Mike Lennon said that they wanted to do something for one of their own. It's amazing to see the support of the community that is here at the church. We hope that people come to have fun, eat, do the drawings, bid on the baskets and support us in any way that they can."
"It's absolutely unbelievable," added Mrs. Williams. "People are coming out of the woodwork to offer help. It's amazing to see how many people actually care about us. So, we appreciate any support that we can get, even if it's just a hug."
WHAT: Benefit for the Williams family who lost their home in a Dec. 30 fire in Sinclairville
WHEN: Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. at the St. James Church, Jamestown
HOW: Donate $7 at the door for food and access to auctions and drawings
Williams was away getting surgery, and Lyle was with him when the fire began. Mrs. Williams was at home sleeping, and she managed to escape with the family dog, Max. No humans were hurt, but the Williams family did lose two pet cats and a betafish to the fire, which was very upsetting for Lyle, he said. The two cats were named Silver and Tiger Lily, and Dennis was the betafish.
"Tiger Lily used to rub on my face," said Lyle. "It's neat that they are having this benefit for us; I'm excited."
The house has since been demolished, and a new foundation will be laid. The family is discussing whether they should put in a modular home instead of rebuilding.
"It happened just a couple days after Christmas and everything was lost," said Deacon Lennon. "Whatever Santa Claus brought for Lyle was lost too. We think it's important that as a Parish family that we support them and do what we can to help them rebuild their lives."
The idea for the benefit came from The Rev. Darrell Duffy. Cathy Gagliano and Michelle Paterniti helped plan the event. The food for the spaghetti and meatball dinner was donated by parishioners and through the St. James Church outreach department. Students from the church's religious education classes will donate their time to help serve food. According to Deacon Lennon, more than 75 people came together to help plan and host the event.
St. James Church is located at 27 Allen St. in Jamestown. For more information call the church at 487-0125 or call Williams at 489-6749.