Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | All Access e-Edition | Home RSS

In Years Past

December 27, 2012
The Post-Journal

In 1912, fire destroyed the home of John Logan of Stoneham, near Warren and it was with great difficulty that Mrs. Logan and the four children in the house escaped with their lives. The home was totally destroyed together with its contents and the loss would be a severe one to bear as there was but little insurance carried. The house was one of a number of frame buildings that stood above the railroad tracks and it burned like tinder. Mr. Logan was employed at Sheffield and he left for that place at 6 a.m. on the first car through Stoneham for Sheffield. Mrs. Logan was awakened by choking from the smoke and hastily she arose and found the interior of the home almost all ablaze. She roused her four children and half carried, half dragged them to a neighbor's house where they were given shelter. She then returned to the fire and endeavoring to get out some household goods she was badly burned about the arms, head and face. It was believed that an overheated gas stove communicated the fire to the house.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web