The Jamestown Community College Foundation presented three Community Partner Awards at its annual recognition event in October.
The Community Partner Award recognizes the vital role of organizations that work collaboratively with JCC to provide educational, social, cultural and civic enrichment for the area. This year, the honorees were the city of Jamestown, Cattaraugus County and Chautauqua County.
The city of Jamestown, which served as JCC's sole local sponsor from the college's inception in 1950 until 1996, worked with the college and other community leaders to make JCC's early growth and the development of its Jamestown campus possible. The Community Partner Award was accepted on behalf of the city by Mayor Sam Teresi, a 1980 JCC graduate, and City Council president Greg Rabb, political science professor at JCC.
In front, from left, are: Chautauqua County Executive Greg Edwards, Cattaraugus County legislators Susan Labuhn and Norman Marsh, state Senator Catharine Young, JCC President Gregory DeCinque and Jamestown Mayor Sam Teresi. In back are Cattaraugus County legislator James Snyder Jr., Chautauqua County legislator Larry Barmore, Jamestown City Council president Greg Rabb and Chautauqua County legislator Tom Erlandson.
A model of regional sponsorship was proposed in the mid-1990s, which would allow JCC to develop as a regional institution. Enabling legislation was sponsored by Jess Present in the New York State Senate and by Pat McGee and Tom Reynolds in the Assembly. Gov. George Pataki signed the bill into law on June 11, 1996.
Upon becoming a regional sponsor of JCC, Cattaraugus County assumed a key role in the development of the college's $31 million Cattaraugus County Campus. The campus, which had been established in 1976, had been maintained at different sites prior to the dedication of new facilities in 2003.
Norman Marsh, Cattaraugus County Legislature chairman, accepted the Community Partner Award on behalf of the Cattaraugus County Legislature. He was joined by legislators Susan Labuhn and James J. Snyder.
Chautauqua County has been involved in and has supported nearly every capital project on the Jamestown Campus since 1996. These projects include construction of the Manufacturing Technology Institute and Science Center and renovations to the Hamilton Collegiate Center, Physical Education Complex, Arts and Sciences Center, Hultquist Library, and Carnahan Center.
County Executive Greg Edwards, joined by legislators Larry Barmore and Tom Erlandson, accepted the Community Partner Award on behalf of Chautauqua County.
The JCC Foundation is a private, non-profit organization formed in 1983 to manage contributions made on behalf of JCC and to allocate the funds to JCC programs or events which are not included in the college's operating expense budget. JCC Foundation funds are used to support scholarships, faculty development, cultural events, acquisition of instructional resources, and special programs for students, faculty, and the community.
To learn more about the JCC Foundation, visit www.jccfoundation.com or call 338-1010.