LAKEWOOD - A Lakewood home was rocked by an explosion early Monday afternoon.
The residence located at 111 Baxter St. in Lakewood was badly damaged by an explosion shortly after noon. Officials at the scene said the explosion was the result of a natural gas leak in the home. A large portion of the foundation was destroyed, with cinder blocks littering the yard. Also as a result, a section in the back of the home separated from the house.
Witnesses who were nearby at the time of the explosion said that it sounded like a bomb had gone off and when they came outside, they saw the damage that had been done to the house.
A natural gas leak caused an explosion in a Lakewood home Monday afternoon. Pictured at right is a portion of the home that detached following the blast.
P-J photos by Ryan Atkins
No one was injured in the home when the explosion happened and there were no injuries reported. The Lakewood Fire Department was assisted by the Celoron Fire Department and Lakewood-Busti Police. National Fuel and National Grid were also called to the scene to turn off utilities to the house.