I've been way too serious lately, so how about another trip down memory lane?
This one might be a bit more challenging than past ones. It deals with a subject already covered, but always fun to revisit. Let's go back to the days of some old, mostly black and white, television.
We've remembered the shows, we've remembered the main stars, and we've remembered the commercials, but there are lots of great memories of old-time television, so let's jog those memory banks again and see if we can remember some of the co-stars of some of our favorite television shows. Many of the actors were character actors who ended up in many television series and movies throughout their careers, but some went on to be headlining stars of both the small and big screens, and some have graduated to become outstanding directors as well. Regardless of where they ended up, do you remember the actors/actresses who played:
1. Rob Petrie's (Dick Van Dyke) neighbor dentist;
2. Dodge City's (''Gunsmoke'') doctor;
3. Dr. Marcus Welby's nurse;
Voice From The Bullpen
4. Joe Mannix's secretary;
5. strongman Willie Armitage of the Impossible Mission Force;
6. the neighbor of Dave Crabtree (Jerry Van Dyke) in ''My Mother the Car;''
7./8. Ben Matlock's two investigators;
9. Perry Mason's secretary; and
10. first investigator;
11. Barnaby Jones' daughter-in-law and assistant;
12. cowhand Rowdy Yates; and
13. cook ''Wishbone'' on ''Rawhide;''
14. banker Theodore Mooney on ''The Lucy Show;''
15. high school student Walter Denton of the show ''Our Miss Brooks;''
16. customer Crazy Guggenheim in the ''Joe the Bartender'' skits of ''The Jackie Gleason Show;''
17. the principal on ''Room 222;''
18. Mayor Roy Stoner of Mayberry in ''The Andy Griffith Show;''
19. Ozzie and Harriet's neighbor, Joe Randolph;
20. Sherriff Roy Coffee on ''Bonanza;''
21. railroad executive Homer Bedloe on ''Petticoat Junction;''
22. Uncle Joe on the same show;
23. Mel of Mel's Diner (''Alice'');
24. Detective Fish of the 12th Precinct (''Barney Miller''); and
25. what was his character's first name?
26. Tim O'Hara of ''My Favorite Martian'' (later ''Eddie's Father,'' and then ''The Hulk'');
27. FBI agent Bill Maxwell of ''The Greatest American Hero'' (also had an earlier role in ''I Spy'');
28. two actresses who played Trixie Norton of ''The Honeymooners;''
29. Donald Hollinger, boyfriend of Ann Marie, in ''That Girl;''
30. Cavewoman on ''It's About Time;''
31. Bub (earlier a regular on ''I Love Lucy'') of ''My Three Sons;''
32. Uncle Charlie of ''My Three Sons;'' and
33. original son Mike of ''My Three Sons'' (previously played Spin on the serial ''The Adventures of Spin and Marty,'' seen on ''The Mickey Mouse Club'');
34. Sgt. Vince Carter of ''Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C;''
35. ''Schultzy'' of ''The Bob Cummings Show'' (later Alice Nelson on ''The Brady Bunch;''
36. Sgt. Chip Saunders of ''Combat,''
37. back to ''That Girl,'' Lou Marie (father of Ann);
38. husband of Donna Stone on ''The Donna Reed Show;''
39. Col. Hall of ''The Phil Silvers Show;''
40. Kathy Williams, wife of Danny, on ''Make Room for Daddy;''
41. The voice of Mr. Ed;
42. Illya Kuryakin of ''The Man from U.N.C.L.E'' (now a regular on ''NCIS'');
43. Cpl. Randolph Agarn from ''F Troop;''
44. Cpt. Adam Greer of ''The Mod Squad;''
45. Vinnie Barbarino from ''Welcome Back Cotter;''
46. the second actor who played Mr. Wilson on ''Dennis the Menace;''
47. Mark McCain, son of Lucas, on ''The Rifleman;''
48./49. the two Lois Lanes on ''The Adventures of Superman;''
50. Dr. Carl Hyatt of ''Checkmate'' (later Mr. French of ''Family Affair'').
Before you ask, (sadly) yes, I do remember all of these characters and performers, though I did need some Google help with some spellings. (Apparently my 15 minutes of fame is remembering things that are not really important.) Anyway, I know you don't need the answers, but I'll give them to you just the same. Just multiply the number correct by two points each to figure your final grade. Good luck!
1. Jerry Paris
2. Milburn Stone
3. Elena Verdugo
4. Gail Fisher
5. Peter Lupus
6. Avery Schreiber (of Burns and Schreiber)
7. Kene Holliday
8. Clarence Gilliyard
9. Barbara Hale
10. William Hopper
11. Lee Meriwether
12. Clint Eastwood
13. Paul Brinegar
14. Gale Gordon
15. Richard Crenna
16. Frank Fontaine
17. Michael Constantine
18. Parley Baer
19. Lyle Talbot
20. Ray Teal
21. Charles Lane
22. Edgar Buchanan
23. Vic Tayback
24. Abe Vigoda
25. Det. Phillip K. Fish
26. Bill Bixby
27. Robert Culp
28. Joyce Randolph and Jane Keane
29. Ted Bessel
30. Imogene Coca
31. William Frawley
32. William Demerest
33. Tim Considine
34. Frank Sutton
35. Ann B. Davis
36. Vic Morrow
37. Lew Parker
38. Carl Betz
39. Paul Ford
40. Marjorie Lord
41. Rocky Lane
42. David McCallum
43. Larry Storch
44. Tige Andrews
45. John Travolta
46. Gale Gordon (again) - the first George Wilson was Joseph Kearns
47. Johnny Crawford
48. Phyllis Coates
49. Noel Neill
50. Sebastian Cabot
Not exactly a Regents Exam, or Civil Service Test, or Citizenship Exam, nor will it win you millions of dollars (though it might help if you ever get on''Jeopardy!''), but trivia can be fun (or frustrating). I hope you have more fun than frustration and you enjoy another walk down TV Memory Lane.