Kiantone was first settled by Joseph L. Akin, who came from Rensselaer County in Eastern New York, in 1807. The area consisted of about 11,228 acres, or 17.5 square miles. Not long after Akin came to Kiantone, Robert Russell also settled in the area, partnering with John Frew to build the first sawmill on Kiantone Creek, just above the junction where the creek met the Conwaango Creek. Russell, Pa., was later settled by Russell and his father and brothers. Kiantone was a derivative of the Seneca word kyenthone, meaning, roughly, level place for growing corn. While the Senecas received exclusive rights to reservation lands in 1794, they did not move at once to the reservations. When anglo-saxon settlers arrived in Kiantone, they found the Kyenthono village still inhabited by the senecas. Through the years, Kiantone made its name as a mill town, with settlers either coming up the Allegany River from Pittsburgh or overland from Buffalo. The first Kiantone town meeting was held on Feb. 21, 1854, with Ezbai Kidder elected supervisor, Levand B. Brown elected town clerk; Francis M. Alvord town school superintendent; and Stephan Norton as tax collector. According to a 2006 book, ‘‘Kiantone, Chautauqua County’s Mystical Valley,’’ by Deborah K. Cronin, construction and improvement of roads was a continuous concern, and one-room schoolhouses were built. A post office took the new town name on April 4, 1955, and would remain the town’s only post office until it was discontinued in 1900. The population remained small, and the town was geographically the smallest in Chautauqua County. For a time, Kiantone played host to one of Chautauqua County’s numerous spiritual communities, a place called Harmonia. Harmonia had up to 30 people living in it at its peak before dying out in the 1860s.
TOWN OF KIANTONE
Jeffrey Piazza, town supervisor 484-6491
Ronald V. Johnson, town board 484-1389
Valerie McDonald, town board
Eugene R. Heath, town board 487-5365
Kevin E. Myers, town board 569-6542
Randy Holcomb, Town Assessor 483-7638 200 E. 3rd St., Jamestown
Town Clerk 488-0383 1521 Peck Settlement Rd., Jamestown
Roman Gedz, Dog Control Officer 569-3897 140 Frissell Rd., Jamestown
Fire Department 484-0890 or 911 2318 Stillwater-Frewsburg Rd.
Gerry Carlson, Highway Department 664-5243 590 S. Main St. Ext., Jamestown
James Kosthorst, Town Justice 488-0031
Todd Nelson, Town Justice 488-0031 1521 Peck Settlement Rd., Jamestown
Melanie Eddy, Zoning Officer 488-0383 1521 Peck Settlement Rd., Jamestown