Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs up to continuing traditions. For decades, visitors to Frewsburg driving on Route 62 have been greeted by a giant smiling sun painted on the side of a barn at 141 W. Main St. It would have been easy for the sun to fade into the proverbial sunset when Martin R. Gage, who first painted the sun on the side of the barn in 1985, passed away in November. Kudos to his son, Mark, who bought the farm from his father and promised to continue his father’s tradition of updating the sun very 10 years. “It’s still going to be a landmark in Frewsburg,” he added. “The tradition is going to continue.” That is wonderful news and a fitting testament from a son to his father.

Thumbs down to yet another instance of existing laws not deterring some in our midst from repeatedly breaking the law. On Dec. 14, Jamestown police pulled over a vehicle driven by Kori Robinson, 19, of Buffalo, who was charged with third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance and several vehicle and traffic violations. Police report Robinson didn’t have a driver’s license and was reportedly found in possession of crack cocaine and a large amount of cash. Then, on Dec. 30, Robinson was charged after another traffic stop in which police found a stolen handgun in the car. The weapon was recovered and linked to an October burglary in the city. Somehow, state lawmakers must find a way to be fair to the accused while crafting some sort of legislation that will give people pause before continuing to commit crimes while their case works its way through the legal system. This sort of situation simply can’t continue happening.

Thumbs up to a full recovery for Officer Mitchell, the Jamestown Police Department’s K-9. After being stabbed by accused murderer Keith Robbins on Nov. 15, Mitchell was called upon to catch a man who fled from police during a warrant check last week. Officer Erik Kraft saw the man jump out of a window in the back of 35 Barrows Street and run away. Mitchell caught the man as he tried to hop over a fence. While the man freed himself from Mitchell, Mitchell was able to slow the man down so officers could catch him near Water and Allen streets.