Smoke Before Fire

1 Taken To Hospital After Gas Leak In Warren

City of Warren firefighters return from investigating the roof of the IMT building on Clark Street Thursday morning after a report of a gas leak was followed by a fire alarm activation. Photo by Brian Ferry

WARREN, Pa. — City of Warren Fire and Police departments in Pennsylvania responded Thursday morning to a report of a gas leak and fire alarm at the IMT building on Clark Street.

One person drove to Warren General Hospital for evaluation and possible treatment as a result of the incident, according to firefighters.

Firefighters checked the building and removed some smoke.

There was no active fire at the structure.

Capt. Dave Krogler said a demolition crew working inside the building likely cut through an old gas line that, while it had been disconnected, probably contained a small amount of residual gas.

The initial call came to the department as a gas leak in the building, he said. A fire alarm activated after that.

Krogler said the small amount of gas probably caused a flash fire that burned itself out immediately, but caused enough smoke to activate the alarm.

COMMENTS