Overheated Extension Cord Reported Cause Of Flagg Avenue Blaze

A cord connected to a space heater is believed to have sparked a blaze that heavily damaged a Flagg Avenue residence Friday in the city of Jamestown. No injuries were reported in the fire. 
P-J photo by Eric Tichy

A cord connected to a space heater is believed to have sparked a blaze that heavily damaged a Flagg Avenue residence Friday in the city of Jamestown. No injuries were reported in the fire. P-J photo by Eric Tichy

An overheated extension cord connected to a space heater is believed to have sparked a blaze that heavily damaged a residence Friday in the city of Jamestown.

No injuries were reported after the fire broke out at 31 Flagg Ave. shortly after 3 p.m. City fire crews arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the back of the property.

City fire investigators believe the blaze began after a cord connected to a space heater overheated and ignited nearby flammable material, Battalion Chief Roger Sigular said Tuesday. Sigular said the property is not habitable at this time due to the amount of damaged sustained in Friday’s fire.

It wasn’t clear Tuesday if the property will be razed or can be rehabilitated.

The cause of an explosion heard by firefighters in the rear of the Flagg Avenue property has not been determined. Sigular said the cause could have come from several sources.

COMMENTS