Another Bomb Scare At SUNY Fredonia Leads To Evacuation Wednesday

FREDONIA — Students inside the State University of New York at Fredonia’s Fenton Hall were forced to evacuate for close to an hour Wednesday morning after a bomb threat was reported.

An announcement over the campus loudspeaker just before 11 a.m. told students to leave the building. University Police subsequently arrived on scene to clear the area and investigate.

The threat didn’t warrant response from other police agencies and K-9 units. The building was back open around 11:40 a.m. and classes resumed at noon.

“University Police investigate such incidents and their assessment of the situation dictates the response they feel is appropriate to keep the campus community safe,” said Jeffrey Woodard, director of marketing and communications. “The communication of the threat is part of the University Police investigation and we don’t want to compromise their work.”

Wednesday’s reported bomb threat is the third in as many as two months. Two reported threats cleared Thompson Hall on the afternoon of Oct. 17 and then during the evening of Oct. 26.

Various police agencies responded to search the building during the incidents. The two October threats were deemed unfounded.

SUNY Fredonia President Virginia Horvath issued a letter following the second incident, and her words continue to ring true.

“I am concerned not only for the disruption of classes — for which students pay tuition — but also for the disruption of campus life,” she said. “Fredonia is generally a peaceful, safe place, so the threat of violence here is especially frightening and disturbing.”

A reward for information regarding the incidents remains active. Those who know anything that would assist in the investigation are asked to call University Police at 673-3333 or by using the silent witness form by visiting

Crimestoppers is still offering a reward of up to $1,000 for information leading to the arrest of the person(s) responsible. Their phone number is 867-6161.