Community

State Archives Receives $125,760 Grant For Digitizing Court Records

The New York State Archives and the Archives Partnership Trust have received a $125,760 “Save America’s Treasures” grant from the National Park Service and the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the conservation and digitization of historical court records and other important ...

Church News

The Salvation Army 83 S. Main St., Jamestown Temple Corps Captains John and Kimberly Merchant 11 a.m. Seventh Day Adventist Seventh Day Adventist 130 McDaniel Ave. Jamestown Zachariah Musselman, Pastor Worship: Saturday, 9:30 a.m. Conduit Ministries 120 Delaware Ave. ...

Dog Of The Week

The Northern Chautauqua Canine Rescue Dog of the Week is Shelby, a beautiful girl who seems to love all people, bacon, peanut butter and playing ball. She isn’t very fond of other dogs or cats, so she needs a home where she would be the one and only pet. Her ideal home would have someone ...

Jamestown Senior Center To Meet

The Jamestown Area Senior Center will meet at 1 p.m. Tuesday at 556 E. Second St., Jamestown. Those attending should bring their own table service and a dish to pass. The group met recently with Shirley Vandenburg, director, calling the meeting to order with the Pledge of Allegiance and ...

JCC Board Of Trustees Appoints New Official

Daniel Heitzenrater of Falconer has been appointed to the Jamestown Community College board of trustees. His term expires in 2023. Heitzenrater is executive assistant to the Chautauqua County Executive. He earned an associate’s degree at JCC and a bachelor’s degree at the State University ...

Rotary Club To Host ‘Gold Rush’ Dinner, Raffle

WESTFIELD — A chicken and ribs barbecue dinner and reverse draw raffle for cash up to the grand prize of $1,000 are on the menu of the Rotary Club of Westfield-Mayville’s Gold Rush event on Saturday, Oct. 27, from 6-9 p.m. at Eason Hall, 23 Elm St., Westfield. The Chiavetta’s ...

Auxiliary Donates To Local Fire Departments

The Chautauqua County Volunteer Fire Services Auxiliary recently presented $100 to Kiantone, Ellery Center and East Dunkirk fire departments that maintains a rehab trailer. Rehab trailers, respond to fires and other emergencies to take care of the firemen that are working an emergency scene. ...

NYC Ballet Dancers To Perform At Reg Lenna

New York City Ballet dancers Lauren King and Joseph Gordon will perform the roles of the Sugar Plum Fairy and her Cavalier in the Chautauqua Regional Youth Ballet’s 2018 Nutcracker at the Reg Lenna Center For The Arts on Dec. 14-15. “We are thrilled to give our young dancers the ...

Bowling Over Breast Cancer To Be Held

The sixth annual Framed in Pink: Bowling Over Breast Cancer bowling tournament will be held from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 28, at Jamestown Bowling Company, 850 Foote Ave., Jamestown. Registration is closed for bowlers, but community members are invited to take part and support local ...

Disposal Drop Box Opens In Dunkirk

DUNKIRK — A new medication disposal drop box location has opened in the Dunkirk Police Department so that north county residents can dispose safely of their unused, unwanted or expired prescription medication 24 hours a day, seven days a week, free and anonymously. The medication disposal ...

Conversation With Your Dog Improves Its Attention Span

Hello, everyone. We all talk to our dogs, right? We tell them how much we love them, how good they are, what we want them to do, and where they should go. Yes, we have talked about this before, but new research has been released within the past couple of days I want to talk to you ...

I Start To Exercise — And Restart, And Restart, And…

I do not enjoy exercising. I exercise intermittently, but I take breaks that last days, weeks, months. My spouse ensures that those breaks do not last for years. She loves to exercise. She also fervently believes that I am still alive only because she feeds me healthy food and goads me into ...

How Prather Avenue Got Its Name

Occasionally this column will look back at some of the earlier settlers, businessmen, and maybe even a character or two from the past while they resided in the area of Ellicott. Today we will get acquainted with a businessman who was involved in the wood industries of the village and the city ...

RTPI Club To Host Lecture By Rey

The RTPI Ornithological Club will welcome artist and author Alberto Rey as a guest speaker for its monthly meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 23 at 7 p.m. Rey will discuss the origins of the Extinct Birds Project as well as its evolution into the exhibition, now on view at RTPI, and the companion ...

Coldspring Releases Tentative Budget

COLDSPRING — The Coldspring Town Board met Oct. 4 for its regular monthly meeting in which the 2019 budget was discussed. The board received voted to adopt the tentative budget as the preliminary budget. A public hearing will be held regarding the preliminary budget on Thursday, Nov. 1. ...

Lighthouse Baptist Church To Host Ministries

Lighthouse Baptist Church, 381 Camp St., is having special meetings with “Refreshing Grace” ministries from Sunday to Tuesday. This Sunday, services are at 10 and 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. The Monday and Tuesday services are at 7 p.m. This ministry includes Evangelist Brian Lott and his ...

Harmony Express To Perform

The Jamestown Harmony Express will stage its 32nd Barbershop Show at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 27, at Southwestern Central School. Jim Eldridge, show chairman, said the show theme is “Jukebox Saturday Night” and will be a look back at the days when jukeboxes were popular. The Jamestown ...

Shades Of Pink Tourney Reaches Over $17,000

On Friday, Aug. 3 , the fourth annual Shades of Pink Golf Tournament was held at South Hills Country Club to benefit UPMC Chautauqua’s Shades of Pink Program. The tournament helped raise funds for a great cause and cancer care. This year, the tournament raised $6,000, putting the total ...

Audubon Recognizes Volunteers

The Audubon Community Nature Center took time out from celebrating the outdoors recently to celebrate its volunteers at the annual Volunteer Appreciation Night and Annual Dinner. After a welcome by Leigh Rovegno, center president; Pierre Chagnon, board chair, installed the board of directors ...

Legislation To Allow Government To Study Algal Blooms In Chautauqua Lake

The Chautauqua Lake Feasibility Study is set to be included in the 2018 Water Resource Development Act. The move — passed in the U.S. House and Senate and awaiting the president’s signature — will allow the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to evaluate the excessive phosphorous runoff that ...